SFTP performances

FTP client for Android handsets.
mcframe
AntiSpam sum: 8

SFTP performances

Post by mcframe »

Hi, downloading mp3 files via Wifi from my server via ssh within my LAN I just monitor download rates below 30k
This is below 10% performance compared with other devices (notebook, netbook)
Is this a (known) performance limit of my HTC Hero, a limit of AndFTP or any possible configuration issue?

THX in advance

support

Re: sftp performace

Post by support »

Could you make a test with FTP instead of SFTP? SFTP involves encryption that slows down transfer.

tliebeck

Post by tliebeck »

I'm seeing the same issue. With AndFTP connected to an FTP server, I saw a rate of 300KiB/second (which is approximately my available bandwidth). On an Ubuntu Linux machine using SCP, I saw approximately the same rate to my own server. On AndFTP, I see transfer rates of 15KiB/second. I additionally see the same rate connecting from AndFTP to said Ubuntu Linux box inside of my own network.

top reports AndFTP is using most all of the CPU, i.e. 70-90%. Device is a stock Droid.

support

Post by support »

We're working on how to improve SFTP performances. FYI we have here for the same file to download on LAN:
SFTP: 34KBps
FTPS: 450KBps
FTP: 650KBps

FliesLikeABrick

Post by FliesLikeABrick »

Any updates on this? Andftp is the only client capable of SFTP that doesn't suck... except I can't get over 14 or 15KB/s via SFTP (whereas FTP is as fast as you'd expect it to be). I hesitate to use FTP though, for the obvious reasons :-/

support

Post by support »

No, we didn't investigate more yet. FTPS is a good alternative.

SawyerSLO

Post by SawyerSLO »

The speed on my htc desire with ftp is 1150kB/s. However, when i do a speed test on the internet it maxes out at my real speed of 2200kB/s. So there should still be room for improvment.

support

SFTP performances improved

Post by support »

We've worked on SFTP performances improvements. Now we've :
- Around 100KB/s (upload and download) over 3G.
- More than 350KB/s over WiFi