AndFTP+FileZilla = all file transfers fail

FTP client for Android handsets.
anonimo
AntiSpam sum: 8

AndFTP+FileZilla = all file transfers fail

Post by anonimo »

Hi,
I am trying to use AndFTP in my local home wi-fi network to transfer music (FLAC) files from a PC running FileZilla on 64-bit Windows 7. AndFTP 2.9.7 runs on a SonyEricsson Arc S with the stock Android 2.3.4.
I can login to the ftp server and navigate the folders etc, however almost every file transfer fails halfway through with a message on AndFTP complaining about a time-out and throwing a java exception. The server console shows the transfer hanging waiting for the client to continue the transfer. The error message on AndFTP comes up suddenly during the transfer so I can't understand the "time out" message... the server is definitely still running as I can login again just a few seconds later.
I have a feeling that this could be a "flow control" problem in AndFTP as the data comes extremely fast over the local wi-fi connection, perhaps faster than AndFTP can write it the Android file system and there is some sort of stack overflow...
Any idea on how to fix this problem?
I must add that I run PC to PC file transfers using the same FileZilla server without any problem so I am quite confident the FTP server is running OK.

support

Re: AndFTP+FileZilla = all file transfers fail

Post by support »

Transfer means FTP data channel usage. Try to switch from 'passive' mode to 'active' mode in advanced tab.

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

Thanks for your reply. I have changed the configuration to active mode but I still get the same error java.net.socketException time out message + broken pipe message.
I wonder if my router could be the culprit? However as I said file transfers work between the pc with the ftp server and another pc so I really don't know...

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

Ok I have managed to understand what the problem is. Android's background data transfer must be enabled for AndFTP to work...
Any chance to make it work when background data transfer is disabled?

support

Post by support »

Transfer runs as a service to allow you to use other apps while transferring.

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

support wrote:Transfer runs as a service to allow you to use other apps while transferring.
That's why I don't understand the requirement to have background data transfer running if AndFTP is the foreground application and I don't do anything else on the phone.

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

Never mind here is another update: with background data transfer enabled I can transfer a few files but after 2 or 3 files I get the same timeout error...
If I try to transfer a full folder with several files AndFTP never completes the operation...

support

Post by support »

Enable "retry on failure" support in advanced tab.

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

I have found the cause of the problem. It's a bloody Facebook UploadManager background process. When I kill that process, file transfers work. Unfortunately the process restarts automatically and it's pre-installed in my phone with no way to uninstall (unless I root the phone).

So basically the message to anyone who wants to use FTP on an Android phone is the following: DO NOT BUY A SONYERICSSON PHONE WITH THE PRE-INSTALLED FACEBOOK CRAP. Your file transfers will not work.

anonimo

Post by anonimo »

Yet another update on my problems. I have managed to root my phone and remove the facebook background process. I have also removed a lot of other stuff!
Unfortunately file transfers still fail after a couple of minutes. I had reports from other people and they see the same problem: FTP doesn't work on the SonyEricsson Arc S.
I have tried both active and passive modes, I have tried changing ports... no difference. File Transfers will fail after a couple of minutes.

Any chance you could investigate this problem on the same phone? I have really no idea what to do next...