Cannot see any remote folder in sftp or scp

FTP client for Android handsets.
rainer042
AntiSpam sum: 8

Cannot see any remote folder in sftp or scp

Post by rainer042 »

Hello,

just putchased And FTP (2.9.3) pro fro my Motorola xoom (3.1) as well my HTC Desire S (2.3). On both systems I have the same strange effect.

I connect to a linux system via sftp or scp (effect is the same) using my home wireless network. The connect works fine and authentification also works fine. In the lower left corner I see that AND-FTP changes dir to /home/myhome on the linux server and does a ls -l.

The problem: I do not see a single remote file. The local file browser works as expected but on the remote side there is nothing to see no folder, no file. I can change the folder (go a level up) and again no files for folders are shown. i also tried to activate the "forget about files beginning with a blank" option, but this had no effect.

When I run ls -l as a remote user command (from options->more) I get the list of the files from my linux machine in the result dialog, but the remote browser does'nt show anything.

Any idea?

Have a nice day
Rainer

rainer042

Re: Cannot see any remote folder in sftp or scp

Post by rainer042 »

Hi,
I played around a little more. The effect is independent from the underlying network. No matter if wireless or mobile network, the effect is the same. It also seems to be independent of the ssh server software used, in my case openssh version 5.8p1.
What seems to make a difference is the account I use for remote login. Testing further I found out what makes the difference.

Its the language set for the login shell of the user on the remote server. On a linux machine like mine this setting is controlled by the environment variable LANG that is set in the file .bashrc and .bash_profile (provided this user uses bash for login). I live in Germany and so this variable is set to
"de_DE.UTF-8". If I set it (for the user account on the remote server) to the default english profile which is named "C" (export LANG="C" ), then AND-FTP is able to list the remote directory. If I set it eg to iso latin1 (export LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1") it does not work either.

Hope this can be fixed soon, so I can really start using AND-FTP .

Thanks
Rainer

support

Post by support »

Could you try to use the matching charset in Advanced tab?

rainer042

Post by rainer042 »

I tried the following charset settings on the client. The server account uses de_DE.UTF-8:

Standard
Feat
UTF-8

the behavior of AnfFTP did not change, still no remote file listing.

support

Post by support »

Could you provide a testing account to support(at)lysesoft(dot)com so we could try to reproduce the problem from here?

rainer042

Post by rainer042 »

Yes I can create a testing account but I would prefer to avoid making the login data public by posting it here but rather send the login data to you by email. Where should I send this mail to?

support

Post by support »

support(at)lysesoft(dot)com

rainer042

Post by rainer042 »

Just sent the data to you.

luis.sarro

Post by luis.sarro »

I have the same problem with several ubuntu 11.04 machines and the es_ES.UTF-8 charset. I do get listings, but folders are displayed with weird characters bracketing the folder names, like e.g. Desktop ----> [01;34mDesktop[0m

I cannot change directory (I get the error message that the filename or directory [01;34mDesktop[0m does not exist)

I would be most grateful if you could post a solution as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Luis

support

Post by support »

Problem fixed for rainer in 2.9.4. It was coming from an expected dot in date format.
For your issue, did you try "UTF-8" charset in advanced tab?