LOL, I just want to know how to set this thing up!!!

FTP client for Android handsets.
Shayden
AntiSpam sum: 8

LOL, I just want to know how to set this thing up!!!

Post by Shayden »

I'm a novice when it comes to this FTP stuff so i'm hoping for some help with instructions in laymen terms.

It's so bad that i'm stuck right from the start.

- Select your FTP server:
Who or what is this? What info do i enter into this field?
In the FTP server settings window, I see "Hostname". What or who is this, and how do I retreive this information. I've been googling for about a week now since i downloaded the app and I'm yet to see one single article/thread that explains this. They all just assume that you already know.

User/Pass is obvious, but what about "Remote dir:" What's that all about as well? Do i just leave it as /yourfolder?

Thank you very much in advanced for any help. I really want to eliminat the need to keep running downstairs for a USB connection in order to switch up the files on my SD card.

More questions to come i'm sure. :D

support

Re: LOL, I just want to know how to set this thing up!!!

Post by support »

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

support wrote:See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11
LOL, I should have know that this would happen. I put "set up FTP" in that search window so many times and got search.php?fid[]=5 Barr my thread of course.

OH well, Thank you very much support team. Hopefully i can make heads or tails out of these instructions.

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

How do I find out what the "URL of your FTP server" is?

support

Post by support »

Well, you need a FTP server where to connect. Then you will know the URL. Do you have any FTP server?

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

support wrote:Well, you need a FTP server where to connect. Then you will know the URL. Do you have any FTP server?
I'm going to be using The Filezilla server. Not sure if that helps. I'm currently searching info on how to set that up as well. lol

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

O.K, so as I stated above, i am using Filezilla as the Server. I followed the step by step instructions on how to set up the server from here....

Code: Select all

http://lifehacker.com/339887/build-a-home-ftp-server-with-filezilla
In order to determine what my Hostname is I referred to the following section of the link provided above....
Set the server administrative interface to launch automatically (or not). On the final installation dialog, choose whether you want the server admin window to launch automatically when the current Windows user logs on, when any user logs on, or if it should be started manually.

Run and connect to the server with the admin interface. As the installation wizard completes, set it to start the server admin interface. This is the window where you'll configure your server and monitor its activity. The first time you run the admin interface, it will ask you for the server's address and port. Since the server is running on your PC—the same one the admin interface is running on—its address is localhost, or 127.0.0.1. The default port is 14147 (or whatever you may have changed it to, as noted above), as shown:
So I entered ftp://127.0.0.1 into the Hostname field of the AndFTP server settings. I also tried ftp://localhost.

Both attemps triggered the following displayed message in AndFTP...

"a.a.a.a.b: Could not parse response code. Server reply: Host/Domain name is invalid"

What have I done wrong here?

Thank you.

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

Any ideas anyone?

Shayden

Post by Shayden »

Bump. If I can't get help from the official site, them i'm not sure where else to go. :)

support

Post by support »

No, you need external IP address. 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, it cannot work on your device.
You're under windows? Try to run the following command: ipconfig

Then you should see your external IP address. Try a regular FTP client such as FileZilla with this IP address. If it works then it should work from your device.