Windows 7 and Host Name

Samba/CIFS client for android.

Windows 7 and Host Name

Postby DrXenos » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi. I just recently purchased this app., and for the most part I love it. I have one problem, though, and haven't been able to get any response from Lysesoft tech. support via email.

I cannot access my Windows 7 PC using its host name. I can access it just fine using its IP address. Other devices can access it using its host name without issue. I have a Windows XP laptop that I can access just fine using its host name with this app.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the Windows 7 machine is on wired Ethernet, and the XP is on WiFi. That shouldn't matter, as other devices on WiFi can access the Windows 7 machine without issue.

Although using the IP address works, I would prefer to use the host name because I like using dynamic IPs.

Thanks.
DrXenos

Re: Windows 7 and Host Name

Postby support » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:07 pm

You may need to configure WINS section in AndSMB to solve hostname if regular DNS does not work.
support

Re: Windows 7 and Host Name

Postby DrXenos » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:39 pm

I don't have a WINS server on my network, so that would be fruitless. There is no reason DNS shouldn't work. AndSMB is the ONLY thing on my network that is having difficulty finding the machines name. In the error info, I see it resolves the name to an IP address that isn't even valid for my subnet (unless it's just garbage in the socket address your software is trying to use after timing out).
DrXenos

Return to AndSMB

Sitemap | Privacy Statement | Java and all Java-based marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
in the U.S. and other countries. All other company and/or product names are the property of their respective owners.