problems connecting

Samba/CIFS client for android.
tg2k
AntiSpam sum: 8

problems connecting

Post by tg2k »

I run into a lot of problems connecting with AndSMB. Often the way I can resolve it is to reboot both my phone/tablet and my computer. I don't understand why this is, but what I often see is that it seems to sit trying to connect forever but never does. There are errors in the bottom but I'm not seeing this as the moment (I know, I'll have to put those in when I see them again).

At the moment I'm also seeing a problem where I have my tablet and phone configured the same way but the phone works while the tablet doesn't.

The error I'm getting now says:

Cannot change to directory (share name)

In the bottom left it says:

smb://(host):445/java.net.UnknownHostException: (host)
CD /(share name)
Failed to connect to server java.net.UnknownHostException: (host)

Now the share name is correct, as is the host name, and I reentered the password as well. They worked on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone running Jelly Bean but not on my ASUS Transformer TF101 tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Even if I try to go up a folder to / , it gives the same error. I rebooted the tablet a second time and still have no luck.

support

Re: problems connecting

Post by support »

Could you try with IP address instead of hostname?

tg2k
AntiSpam sum: 8

Re: problems connecting

Post by tg2k »

support wrote:Could you try with IP address instead of hostname?
Just tried it. No luck. Rebooted phone, tried it. Again no luck. Decided I didn't want to reboot my computer and just plugged the darn thing in. This is sooo obnoxious. I think ASTRO has been able to connect just fine BTW.

FWIW what I see is the progress indicator in the top right, and it says:

CONNECT smb://192.168.0.5:445
USER [my userid] PASS *******

That's it.