can connect with S3Anywhere but not S3AnywherePro

Amazon S3 file manager for Android handsets.
MacLennan
AntiSpam sum: 8

can connect with S3Anywhere but not S3AnywherePro

Post by MacLennan »

I have been using S3Anywhere 1.8 successfully for a few months and just bought S3AnywherePro 1.9 from google market so that I can sync. Unfortunately I get the "request signature does not match" error when I try to connect with the Pro version (but not with the free version). I've tried setting the connection credentials (KeyID and SecretKey) in the Pro version three different ways:
(1) Importing from free version.
(2) Copying and pasting from the (working) credentials in the free version.
(3) Typing them in manually (yikes!).
As near as I can see, the free and Pro credentials are identical.

Other possibly relevant information:
(1) Both versions complain that my bucket name might not be up to DNS standards (but it works fine on the free version).
(2) I had similar problems when I originally entered the credentials in the free version several months ago. I tried entering them many ways, but it finally worked (I don't recall how).
(3) Coby Kyros MID 7024 tablet running Android 2.2.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am really anxious to get the Pro version working on my tablet.
-- Bruce

support

Re: can connect with S3Anywhere but not S3AnywherePro

Post by support »

You get a warning about DNS? That's it, you have a character that makes bucket location fail.
For Free version, S3Anwyhere uses http://s3.amazonaws.com/your_bucket (because US location support only).
For Pro version, S3Anwyhere uses http://your_bucket.s3.amazonaws.com

Can you rename your bucket? The DNS constrains of AWS are detailed at:
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/Amazo ... tions.html
To comply with Amazon S3 requirements, bucket names:

•Can contain lowercase letters, numbers, periods (.), underscores (_), and dashes (-). You can use uppercase letters for buckets only in the US Standard region.

•Must start with a number or letter

•Must be between 3 and 255 characters long

•Must not be formatted as an IP address (e.g., 192.168.5.4)

To conform with DNS requirements, we recommend following these additional guidelines when creating buckets:

•Bucket names should not contain underscores (_)

•Bucket names should be between 3 and 63 characters long

•Bucket names should not end with a dash

•Bucket names cannot contain two, adjacent periods

•Bucket names cannot contain dashes next to periods (e.g., "my-.bucket.com" and "my.-bucket" are invalid)

Note
Buckets with names containing uppercase characters are not accessible using the virtual hosted-style request (e.g., http://yourbucket.s3.amazonaws.com/yourobject)

MacLennan

Post by MacLennan »

Thanks, this seems to have fixed it. It's not possible to rename a bucket, but I already had another one that used only lowercase letters (and a "-"). For some reason I thought there was a problem with the dash, so I made a new bucket with no dash but with camelCase. So it was complaining about the upper case letter. I went back to the original bucket that was all lowercase and it worked fine. Thanks for the help! -- Bruce

Eyal0

Post by Eyal0 »

It's silly that a free version can do what the paid version cannot. I've many Gigs of data online and, as buckets can't be renamed, fixing this would be difficult.

How about fixing this in the pro version?

support

Post by support »

Cant' you create a new bucket and just move them to his new bucket? S3 allows server-to-server objects moving. Using non DNS compliant bucket name could cause further issues later, I think you should apply S3 rules about naming.