Can't log in to rsync.net servers using SFTP

FTP client for Android handsets.
gerv
AntiSpam sum: 8

Can't log in to rsync.net servers using SFTP

Post by gerv »

I'm trying to log in to my rsync.net account using SFTP, but I keep getting the following in the little log at the bottom of the page:

CONNECT <censored>.rsync.net
java.security.InvalidKeyException: bad p

That looks like "bad password", although I haven't found a way to view that log fully.

It then re-pops the Authentication dialog. I've definitely got my password right - I typed very carefully, and I've confirmed I can SFTP in from my main machine, so SFTP is working on the server. I do log into that machine also using my SSH key from my laptop, but password-based authentication should work too. I don't have any of the SSH key stuff enabled in AndFTP.

Any ideas?

Gerv

support

Re: Can't log in to rsync.net servers using SFTP

Post by support »

You're using a SSH key which is password protected, correct?
Is a RSA or DSA key. Could you try with a DSA key?

gerv

Post by gerv »

No, I'm not using an SSH key at all. I'm using password authentication. Sorry if that wasn't clear. (This is why the name of the exception is somewhat surprising.)

Gerv

support

Post by support »

Could you provide a testing FTP account so we could reproduce the problem here?
If so then contact support(at)lysesoft(dot)com

gerv

Post by gerv »

Hi - my provider says they are happy to supply you with a test account. Please email support at rsync dot net, referencing this thread.

I look forward to finding out what's wrong :-)

Gerv

support

Post by support »

Email sent.

support

Post by support »

rsync provided me a SFTP testing account and it seems to work fine from here. I've tested it with both Android 1.5 and 1.6 on HTC Magic. See screenshots below.
SFTP settings
SFTP settings
sftp.png (20.69 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
SFTP advanced
SFTP advanced
ftpadv.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
Download file
Download file
download.png (17.69 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
Could you check your settings from the screenshots?

gerv

Post by gerv »

Nope :-( My settings are exactly those apart from username and password, and it doesn't work :-( I even tried creating a new entry in case the old one was corrupt, but that didn't help.

I'll try public key access next.

Hmm... could it be that I have a public key on the server, and you don't on the test account? If you upload a public key but still use password access, does it work?

Gerv

support

Post by support »

What error do you have ? What is your carrier ?

gerv

Post by gerv »

OK, I tried renaming my authorised-keys files to see if it was falsely attempting key auth when it should be doing password. No luck. I then tried putting my key on my SD card, putting my authorized-keys files back and using that form of auth. Still no luck. (InvalidKeyException every time - which seems an odd exception to throw for a password-style login...).

Weirdly, even though I'd cleared the password in the settings, when the InvalidKeyException came back in that second scenario, a dialog prompted me for a username and password, and the password was prefilled.

It would be helpful if AndFTP were to tell you if you'd typed the password to your secret key file in right, by attempting to decrypt it when you save the configuration, and complaining if it can't. Or does it do that anyway?

So I still haven't managed to find a way of connecting :-(

I am using the Wifi in my house, which connects to the rest of the world via O2 ADSL broadband. (I'm in the UK.)

Gerv