remote folders not listing on 3G

FTP client for Android handsets.
lorimer
AntiSpam sum: 8

remote folders not listing on 3G

Post by lorimer »

I'm running AndFTP on an HTC desire S and am currently having a strange problem when I connect to my DNS-320 via 3G using FTPS (explicit).
If I'm away from home and connect to a wifi hotspot I am able to connect to my NAS and see all the available shares, upload and download files without any problems. However, when I attempt to connect via 3G from my mobile I receive the following confirmation:-

AUTH TLS
235 AUTH TLS OK

I'm taking this to mean that I have successfully connected to the NAS but AndFTP then fails to display any available directories or files.

Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

support

Re: remote folders not listing on 3G

Post by support »

Could you make a test with FTP or SFTP?

holytotemic

Post by holytotemic »

I am having the same exact issue on my droid x2. this is not something that needs testing is is a bug. Wifi is fine from anywhere in the world, its just 3g will not list folders. I have the same issue with es file explorer so I am really not sure if its something to do with how android handles ftp or it is a coincidence that both applications have the same error.

support

Post by support »

Could you make sure 'force resuse SSL' option is disabled on FTP server?

paulc

Post by paulc »

holytotemic wrote:I am having the same exact issue on my droid x2. this is not something that needs testing is is a bug. Wifi is fine from anywhere in the world, its just 3g will not list folders. I have the same issue with es file explorer so I am really not sure if its something to do with how android handles ftp or it is a coincidence that both applications have the same error.
I agree, it's a bug, or almost certainly bad coding in Android that needs a workround.

I am using the latest version of AndFTP with Home FTP server, and I can logon without a problem via wi-fi, but not via 3G. My settings are FTP, active mode. I have tried with SFTP and passive combinations, but this is the only one that works for me.

I have also tested the FTP plugin for Total Commander, which also works fine for wi-fi, but equally I can't get it to work on 3G.

As an aside, I'd suggest more accurate status being shown on the screen, since on 3G I can see the connect button at the top right of the screen, but it is obviously not connected, in practice. Looking at the FTP Home Server on the screen, it does not register as having a client connected.

So, I deduce that if the screen is blank, there is no connection.

Desire HD, running Revolution Gingerbread ROM (stock base)

juniordecibel

Post by juniordecibel »

Hi
Until about 10 mins ago I was having the same sort of problem. I was able to connect to my FTP server over WiFi super easily within my own network. But when I switched to 3g, it would not show all the folders. It would connect fine, then show my shared folders. However I have an Mp3 folder with hundreds of folders. Over 3g there was a glitch that would duplicate the first 5 folders hundreds of times. For example it would show the A's of my collection and nothing further, no Bs, Cs, etc.

So while I could see folders, it was not displaying the file/folder lists correctly.

I fiddled with my connection settings in andFTP so that it was an active connection AND changed the character set to FEAT(auto detect). Voila, it worked, all folders listed correctly. Give it a whirl, see if it works for you.

By the way, I have port forwarding set up on my router so that in and outbound connections on port 21 go to my static FTP server IP.

paulc

Post by paulc »

Good to see you resolved your issue juniordecibel - we've got the same phone, but that didn't sort me out unfortunately.

I can still connect over my wi-fi connection using FEAT (I'm already using Active), but over 3G it still wouldn't connect.

Instead of Home FTP Server, I installed FileZilla, but still had the same issues, so I understand from that, that it is a AndFTP/Android question.

paulc

Post by paulc »

One month later... & still I can't connect to my FTP server over 3g.

Wireless is fine (I've only tried with my home network), either active or passive, but no combination of the various options allow me to make a connection.

Any ideas? Linked to the client, or even the cell phone operator???

I've got the latest version of AndFTP Pro, on a HTC Desire running the Android Revolution 7.02 ROM (Gingerbread), which is the most widely used custom ROM for the Desire.

grillguy54

Post by grillguy54 »

Having the exact same problem. Can't connect over 3g with my droid x2. I KNOW i used to be able to connect. Tried various settings, the only thing that works is turning on wifi. A fix of limited usefulness.

grillguy54

Post by grillguy54 »

Ok, here's something to try. Go to your ftp server, and where it says something about report ip address in passive mode, put the internal network ip of your ftp server. In my case 192.168.0.5, not your external ip. I think it has something to do with trying to report the address outside the network, which is how I had it set up. Worth a try anyway. Worked for me.