Can not configure ftp connection

FTP client for Android handsets.
Happyjoy
AntiSpam sum: 8

Can not configure ftp connection

Post by Happyjoy »

I have used andftp for quite some time. More recently I started getting a blank page when I try to access my NAS. Also I would get some form of java something or other error. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled and now I can not even configure it to work. My DDNS url did not change nor did any other settings but I now get 'server url is not valid, it must be something like ftp://yourserver.com/21'. I never typed in anything other than my DDNS url before and it worked fine. Any help would be appreciated.

wtfmate913

Re: Can not configure ftp connection

Post by wtfmate913 »

Only time I've gotten an error saying something about java on AndFTP was when I forgot my home NAS was turned off and my phone couldn't connect. Can you connect to your FTP server via a web browser on the computer?

support

Post by support »

Do not include ftp:// in hostname.

bjfleury

Post by bjfleury »

No, that's the point. The original poster is correct. I have a server on the internet and I only refer to it by its DNS name -- no protocol or low level domain like mail.xxx.com, etc.

All of a sudden (I reinstalled because I changed phones) I started getting the message that the URL is invalid and must be in the form ftp://servername:21 -- which is stoopid since I an using sftp anyway.

All I want is for andFTP to go back to working the way it was. I cannot connect to the Linux machines in my own apartment anymore because I cannot just specify their hostname or private dotted IP address.

This is a bug introduced in a newer version and I will probably delete the application because it doesn't work for anything for which it used to work.

bjfleury

Post by bjfleury »

Ok, I took the time to figure it out. I have solved my problem and here is the solution.

The trick is to get the entry saved once, they you can make any modifications you like. As was requested, I took my domain XXXXX.com and put it into the format ftp://XXXXX.com:21. I entered all the other settings and credentials and andFTP allowed me to save.

I try to connect, and the application has stripped everything after the ftp so it's using ftp as the domain name. At that point, I can change the server to my DSN name, XXXXX.com, save it and it works like a charm.

andFTP is back baby... and I'm loving it.