Should I worry about ASCII support?

FTP client for Android handsets.
haus
AntiSpam sum: 8

Should I worry about ASCII support?

Post by haus »

I saw a quick mention of this in another thread, but it was a question from support to a user.

I'm used to Windows, so I've always needed ftp clients that can switch to "ascii mode" to strip windows CRLF and replace with LF when uploading things like perl scripts to linux hosts. I had a few cgi scripts on my SD card that I moved from my WinMo phone to my new android phone, so I tried uploading one with andftp. I set the permissions (awesome feature - thank you!), and the script worked perfectly in the browser.

So I am wondering if andftp caught and removed the windows CRLF line endings automatically, or maybe they weren't there in the first place (I don't recall specifically, but I assume I would have either put the SD card in a card reader and copied directly from Windows or used my old WinMo phone plugged in as a drive in explorer to copy the files, so I would expect them to have windows line ending chars).

I suppose I can test this more rigorously, but I thought I'd ask if "ascii mode" support is something planned or is it unnecessary? What other peoples' general thoughts are on this? If the feature isn't needed that is great, but I'm so used to seeing it that I'm concerned when it is not there.

Thanks in advance!

support

Re: Should I worry about ASCII support?

Post by support »

To make sure, just make a test with an ASCII file and check about CRLF on server-side.
AndFTP uploads/downloads in BINARY mode. ASCII mode is in the wishlist.