AndFTP Problems with custom SSL certificates

FTP client for Android handsets.
NathanielS
AntiSpam sum: 8

AndFTP Problems with custom SSL certificates

Post by NathanielS »

I have an OpenMediaVault server set up and would like to transfer files between it and my phone using FTPS with a custom SSL certificate that I have generated. I imported the SSL certificate and root signing authority to both my laptop and phone. Using WinSCP I have verified that the SSL certificate is correct as I can easily connect to my server without issue.

However, using AndFTP I am able to connect via FTP and SFTP, but when I try and connect via FTPS it just shows a blank screen with no folders. It doesn't seem to report any errors.

Here is what the app returns from an SFTP conection:
SFTP Connection
SFTP Connection
Here is what the app returns with an FTPS connection:
FTPS Connection
FTPS Connection
Is there a specific way to import an SSL certificate to AndFTP? Or is there something else I'm missing?

support

Re: AndFTP Problems with custom SSL certificates

Post by support »

It might be because for TLS session re-use not supported. Could you try to enable "Clear channel" for FTPS and try again?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25698

NathanielS
AntiSpam sum: 8

Re: AndFTP Problems with custom SSL certificates

Post by NathanielS »

Thanks for your response! After your advice I changed the data channel security setting to "clear" in the app and I checked that session re-use was not required by the server, which it wasn't. However when I tried to connect I got the same blank screen but this time the message at the bottom was "522 SSL/TLS Required on the data channel":
TLS/SSL Required on the data channel
TLS/SSL Required on the data channel
I then looked further into the server settings and found that disabling the option that "requires clients to use FTP over TLS when talking to this server" fixed the problem.

Is there any reason for this? My guess is that the app needs to first establish a normal FTP connection but I'm not sure. Can I be certain that data I excahange with the server is encrypted if I have to disable the force SSL/TLS option to connect?