remote dir entries won't work

FTP client for Android handsets.
shdanfo
AntiSpam sum: 8

remote dir entries won't work

Post by shdanfo »

I'm using AndFTP 1.9. I added an FTP server, entering the address, my name and password, but not a Remote dir value (which therefore remained as greyed-out /yourfolder). Connection worked fine, and I was able to cd and upload/download files no problem. Also created an Android subdirectory.

Then I decided to add a Remote dir by editing the server definition. I started with "Android" assuming that the entry would be relative to my top-level directory (i.e., after logging on, AndFTP would do cd Android). But, after connecting, I get the message cannot change directory to Android. So, I then tried emptying the Remote dir field. Then I get the message cannot cd to (blank). I looked at AndFTP home page, and then tried /Android. This didn't work either. I also tried "/" and "." In all cases, no matter what I place in the Remote dir field, I get a "cannot change directory to" alert and the display shows only an empty directory with [go up to folder] which doesn't do anything. I haven't tried an absolute path because I don't really want to.

So, the question: what is the magic incantation for Remote dir: that will simply log on and leave me in my top-level remote directory? I guess I can delete my current entry and create another with the default (greyed-out) value. But other than this, I'm stumped.

support

Re: remote dir entries won't work

Post by support »

Android folder should work. Maybe your FTP server want full real path such as:
/home/user/user1/Android

That's the case for me with SFTP.

HankB

Post by HankB »

I found the same behavior and consider it a bug in AndFTP. If I specify complete remote path (e.g. /home/hbarta/Music directory navigation works fine. If I specify a path relative to my $HOME directory (e.g. Music) it looks fine upon login. (AndFTP issues 'cd Music') If I touch any subdirectories, AndFTP gets lost. It tries to 'cd Music/x' and that doesn't work unless there is a path /home/hbarta/Music/Music/x. It either needs to issue 'pwd' to identify the complete path and then add the new directory to that or simply cd to the relative path. In other words, when in 'Music' and the user touches directory 'x', then 'cd x' rather than 'cd Music/x'.

I'm using AndFTP 2.2 on a Droid X (2.6.32.9-g55626e1 Dalvik 0.9) The sftp server is on Ubuntu Linux.

thanks,
hank

PS: The link to this forum on http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andftp/index.html is 404

genterminl

Post by genterminl »

I just installed 2.9.9.4 on Android 4.0.3, and noticed the same problem. Leaving the remote directory blank, I could connect (SFTP to a Linux SSHD server) but not see any files or directories. Using a relative remote "Photos" I could see everything in that directory, but trying to change directories or download any file produced an ssh_fx_no_such_file error. Only with an absolute starting remote directory does everything work fine. It would be great if andFTP would either allow using a relative (or blank) starting remote folder, or at least provide some more explicit warning or instruction that it needs to be absolute.

support

Post by support »

I think you have the error because PWD command is not successful. Could you provide a testing SFTP account so we could try to reproduce the problem from here? If yes then drop an email to support(at)lysesoft(dot)com