AndFTP + HTC Eris = Not Working

FTP client for Android handsets.
tekngolong
AntiSpam sum: 8

AndFTP + HTC Eris = Not Working

Post by tekngolong »

Hello All,

I am trying to FTP into my NAS at home using AndFTP on my HTC Eris, but AndFTP is having troulbe listing any directories . I've double checked all my settings, making sure they match my FireFTP settings (Firefox FTP client on my work desktop) which works just fine. The AndFTP log shows that I've logged in just fine... welcome screen, username recognition, password validation, logs in to the appropriate root share directory (i.e. /media) after a long time (about 5 minutes)... the AndFTP interface (at the top middle of the screen) eventually shows that it has logged into the root directory just fine "Current: /media". The circular status icon continues to circle which suggests that the program is busy. However, no folders are being displayed and the last command that was executed according to the log was "LIST". I seem to be getting this same problem with other FTP clients as well, including DroidFTP and Swi FTP, where no directories on the server I am logging into can be displayed. I've tried calling Verizon to see if port 21 was blocked - they don't block any ports. I tried calling HTC but they couldn't provide any guidance. Any ideas?

tekngolong

Re: AndFTP + HTC Eris = Not Working

Post by tekngolong »

UPDATE: I receive the following error message after successfully logging in:

:
:
215 UNIX Type: L8
PORT 97,157,130,13,169,138
200 PORT command successful
LIST
425 Unable to build data connections: Connection timed out

Any ideas as to why the HTC Eris may be having problems showing FTP directories would be appreciated.

support

Post by support »

Someone had similar problem this week. Could you test connection with FileZilla and see traces ?
For the other user, traces were:
[...]
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,101,198,188).
Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
Trace: Reply: 192.168.1.101, peer: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
[...]

Do you have similar log with internal IP address such as 192.168 ?
The workaround for him was to add the following line in the FTP server (Proftpd) config file:

Code: Select all

MasqueradeAddress your.ftpserver.com
Does it help ?

tekngolong

Post by tekngolong »

Hello,

I installed FileZilla and tried to log into my NAS. I was unsuccessful and perhaps it is the same "directory" problem. This is the log (note that I removed 4 lines, which showed the username and password):

FILEZILLA
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.3rc1 Server (NETGEAR ReadyNAS) [192.168.10.103]
:
:
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Features:
Response: MDTM
Response: MFMT
Response: TVFS
Response: UTF8
Response: AUTH TLS
Response: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Response: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Response: LANG en-US*
Response: PBSZ
Response: PROT
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: 211 End
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 UTF8 set to on
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,10,103,4,5).
Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Here is my log using FireFTP, which successfully logs in (again, I removed username and password lines):

FireFTP
220 ProFTPD 1.3.3rc1 Server (NETGEAR ReadyNAS) [192.168.10.103]
:
:
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
MFMT
TVFS
UTF8
AUTH TLS
MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
LANG en-US*
PBSZ
PROT
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
PWD
257 "/" is the current directory

I am not sure how to go about adding the lines of code you recommended. Is it still worth a try, given the 2 logs I've shown above? If so, please provide more detail as to how to do this... thanks!

support

Post by support »

The problem comes from "Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead." I guess your server returns an internal IP address which is not reachable. You have to make it works under FileZilla and then it should work with AndFTP.

tekngolong

Post by tekngolong »

Hello,

I have gotten Filezilla to work. These are the instructions that I followed to get Filezilla to work... perhaps there is a similar fix for AndFTP?

Fix for Filezilla Failing to Retrieve Directory Listing
Posted At : April 24, 2008 9:28 PM | Posted By : Dan Wilson
Related Categories: Server Configuration

I use Filezilla FTP client to manage files on many servers. I had a specific Filezilla client that refused to retrieve a directory listing. Other computers could connect to the same server just fine. Thusly I knew it was a client configuration problem.

I ended up with messages like this:

Response: 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
Command: LIST
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I ran the Filezilla configuration wizard to diagnose the problem. The configuration wizard utility ran for a while reporting success until the very end. After timing out, I received the following messages:

Response: 200 PORT command successful
LIST
Response: 150 opening data connection
Response: 503 Failure of data connection.
Server sent invalid reply.
Connection closed

Searching the Internet led to not so helpful posts such as "Please read the Network Configuration guide.". After analyzing the situation, it turns out the solution isn't so obvious. My Client had the default setting of Connection -> FTP -> Active Mode: Get External IP Address From This URL. Which pointed to http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php . This is the source of the problem. If you go to that URL, you will probably get a result of 127.0.0.1. If the Filezilla client needs the external address, and is given 127.0.0.1, then there will be problems indeed!

If you have a similar problem with Filezilla, and the problem persists even when the Windows Firewall is disabled, here is what you need to do:

* Open Filezilla, go to Edit -> Settings
* Click on Connection -> FTP: Choose Active
* Click on Connection -> FTP -> Active Mode: Select "Ask your operating system for the external IP address"
* Click on Connection -> FTP -> Passive Mode: Choose Fall Back to Active Mode
* Press OK.